The playlist you curate for your wedding reception will be a memorable part of the wedding. Getting everyone up from their seats and onto the dance floor is key to a successful, fun wedding! Use our guide on the top 50 songs to add to your gay wedding playlist, which includes suggestions from all genres!
- I Choose You by Sara Bareilles
Perfect for gay and gender-inclusive weddings. An upbeat song so a good way to get guests into the dancing mood.
- Love Someone by Jason Mraz
A soft love song, all about the positives in loving someone.
- Latch by Disclosure ft. Sam Smith
A song with all the vibes. Perfect for the later evening and a great song to get couples on the dance floor.
- Let’s Stay Together by Al Green
It’s difficult to find older love songs that are modern enough for a gay wedding, but Al Green hits the mark with this timeless ballad.
- A Thousand Years by Christina Perri
This song has become one of the most popular wedding songs since it entered the charts in 2011. Romance oozes from this song!
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
If you want your guests to shed a few tears during an intimate dance between you and your partner then trust us, use this.
- All Mine by Portishead
Portishead are an alternative band that is famed amongst the gay community. This sultry song makes for a dramatic first dance song.
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole
Another slow song that exudes romance and has great lyrics for a wedding song.
- Love Is Love by Culture Club
A wedding wouldn’t be complete without a power ballad from Culture Club! The title is very fitting for a gay wedding.
- Adore You by Harry Styles
Super catchy and great for dancing too. You’ll be sure to see even the most hesitant of dancers up on the floor with this one.
- Come Away With Me by Norah Jones
For those looking for a slow song that has a softer tone.
- Better Together by Jack Johnson
Such a sweet song that those who haven’t heard it before will be asking for the name of it straight away!
- Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap
Perfect for getting everyone out of their seats and having a good jump around to this upbeat love song.
- Adorn by Miguel
Perfect for bringing a bit of heat to the playlist and definitely one for the late-night crowd.
- Lovin’ You by Minnie Riperton
The lyrics are so sweet and perfect for the first dance or to get couples onto the dance floor for a slow dance.
- We Found Love by Rihanna
The ultimate dance song for any wedding. Simple lyrics but upbeat tempo.
- Sweet Love by Anita Baker
One of the most romantic power ballads out there.
- Crazy For You by Madonna
One for the 80’s lovers, it’s sure to have everyone singing.
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder
Upbeat and popular, a perfect love song addition to the playlist.
- Dreaming About You by The Blackbyrds
A jazzy love song that adds funk and soul into the playlist.
- Angels by The XX
An electronic, cool love song. A unique choice for a first dance.
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye
You can pick any Marvin Gaye song and we’re sure everyone will get up to sing and dance.
- I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness
One for the rock fans, one of the few awesome rock love songs.
- Feel So Close by Calvin Harris
Another upbeat dance song that brings the party to any wedding reception.
- You’ve Got The Love by Florence And The Machine
A famous singalong and great for getting guests involved.
- (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher by Jackie Wilson
A sweet easy song to dance to and will have all your guests in high spirits.
- I’ll Be Seeing You by Billie Holiday
If you want an old-timely first dance song that is gentle and romantic then this is for you.
- Are You Ready For Love? By Elton John
Similar to Marvin Gaye, any Elton John song is sure to be a hit.
- Is This Love by Bob Marley & The Wailers
Add some smooth reggae into your playlist with this sweet love song.
- What You Won’t Do For Love by Bobby Caldwell
A sultry ballad, for those who love their old school love songs.
- Cruisin’ by Smokey Robinson
If you’re looking to open up the dance floor to couples, this is a great song to use.
- Come And Get Your Love by Redbone
With a simple chorus and a catchy beat, this is a fabulous song to get everyone singing.
- Thinking Of You by Sister Sledge
The lyrics are full of love and it’s perfect for all disco lovers.
- If I Ain’t Got You by Alicia Keys
One of the best R&B love songs out there for first dances.
- At Last by Etta James
It just wouldn’t be a wedding playlist without this suggestion, a true wedding classic.
- No Other Like You by Kate Bollinger
Summery and smooth, this song is an indie song that’s perfect for a first dance.
- Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs
The lyrics of this song are perfectly modern for a gay wedding.
- Fool For You by Snoh Aalegra
Simple and passionate, this song is a really sweet addition to the playlist.
- Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
Such a great love song and everyone knows the words to this famous song.
- The Look Of Love by Dusty Springfield
A familiar voice and a sweet melody make for a great love song.
- I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz
In the top ten songs for wedding first dances because of its super romantic lyrics.
- Always And Forever by Luther Vandross
One of the best R&B love songs out there, an ideal choice for a first dance.
- Your Song by Elton John
Our second Elton John suggestion purely because this is such a simple yet romantic song that it’s silly not to add it.
- Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
Another rock ballad that is one of the few famous heartfelt alt-rock songs out there.
- This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) by Natalie Cole
This song screams happiness and joy, there won’t be a frown insight with this playing.
- You’re The First, The Last, My Everything by Barry White
Funk and soul makes any party better and this song is no exception with its romantic lyrics.
- Ain’t Nobody by Chaka Khan
Would it be a wedding let alone a party without Chaka Khan?
- More Than A Lover by Etta Bond & SiR
A slower, modern R&B song for those who want a good beat, great lyrics and a unique first dance option.
- Love Like This by Faith Evans
There is a famous remix to this as well, either are great songs to get everyone up on the dance floor.
- Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
It only seems right to finish this list with something as iconic as this song!
That completes our top 50 suggestions for songs to add to your gay wedding playlist. For more inspiration, we also have a guide on “Top 25 Songs for an LGBTQ+ First Dance” and “Top Ten Songs To Avoid At A Gay Wedding”.