The Summer season is typically the go-to wedding season for a multitude of reasons. The warm temperature, longer days and sweet-smelling air! The trees and flowers are finally back in full bloom adding to the life and buzz that comes with Summer. Continue reading for tips and inspiration on planning a gorgeous gay wedding in the summer!
Location & Venue
- Beachside – Summer is one of the only seasons that allow for a warm beach wedding. Use it to your advantage as beaches are gorgeous open areas to host a stunning LGBTQ+ Wedding.
- Festival Field – Throw your own wedding festival equipped with tipi tents, carnival games and a brightly colored palette! Fields provide areas that can allow for complete customization. You have the space to get creative when planning an outdoor gay wedding!
- Vineyard – These locations are known for having sweeping views, chic ambience and good-quality wine! These few things make for a truly unique summer wedding. Summer (and spring) are the ideal conditions for growing grapes. Wine tasting can be a part of your wedding entertainment.
- Lakeside – Summer means waterside fun, and there are a plethora of gorgeous lakeside venues. They capture the summer ambience while providing a more intimate feel due to the surrounding forests.
- Rooftop – These venues are perfect for the summer months as you are provided with panoramic views of the area you are in. As the warm day turns to night you are surrounded by twinkling lights and stars, chic and romantic.
Attire & Accessories
- Flower Crowns – Such a sweet and subtle statement piece. Flowers crowns bring pops of color to any outfit and are the epitome of summer accessories!
- Corals – This shade of pink is the perfect color to compliment a summer wedding. The bright hue matches with fiery sunsets and looks great against a nautical navy blue.
- Nautical – As we mentioned above, navy blues and wicker taupes go together to create a sea-inspired palette that is ideal for beachside weddings.
- Pastels – Suits tend to be a darker color. Typically black and dresses are usually plain white but during the summer months, don’t be afraid to experiment with brighter colors. Not only will you look incredible but lighter color palettes will keep you cooler during the sun!
- Braided Hairstyles – For those readers who have longer hair then you should try out some braided hairstyles. This style is humidity-proof and keeps you cool all the while looking fabulous.
Reception & Entertainment
- Shaded ‘Cool-Off’ Areas – Set up some areas out of the sun with covered canopies complete with comfy seating, rugs and water stations.
- Carnival Games – For those of you who are hosting weddings with lots of open space, then consider providing some fun carnival games such as Ring Toss, Giant Jenga and the classic High Striker!
- Circus Entertainer – Continuing with the Festival/Carnival theme. Circus performers dotted around the wedding create interest points which is a great way to entertain guests.
- Face Paint & Glitter Bar – Another way to get into the summer festivities, is to set up an area where guests can have glitter designs or their face painted or both! Perfect for all adults, kids and elders.
- Bouncy Castle – A throwback to all of our childhoods and an activity that really lifts the energy of your reception, you just have to have fun on these things! Seeing everyone fall about after a few too many proseccos is the ice-breaker everyone needs for a summer wedding.
Food & Drink
- Ice Cream & Sorbet Truck – They look great, cool off your guests and are an added interactive addition to your wedding. Having a truck set up gives your guests another area of your wedding to explore!
- Coconut Water – What’s refreshing, tasty and aesthetically pleasing? Freshly cut coconuts! All your guests will be able to cool off while looking chic doing it.
- BBQ – For added summer vibes, serve barbecue style food and appetizers. Consider a buffet for an informal style of service but can be dressed up to be a more formal style if you do a set menu.
- Frozen Cocktails – Whether your on a beach already or you want to bring a piece of the Caribbean to your wedding then opt for some frozen cocktails such as Piña Colada, Daiquiris or even serve Frosé (frozen rosé)
- Seafood – Everyone knows that fresh seafood during a warm summer day just works together perfectly. Quality, locally caught seafood is exactly the type of food you want to serve at a summer wedding.
- Hats, Parasols & Sandals – Imagine your sat during a two-hour long ceremony with the sun beaming down, no air-conditioning because your outside and you forget to bring your sunnies, that sounds dreadful right? So set up a stand that displays stylish fedoras, elegant parasols or even smart sandals (if your ceremony is on a beach where heels are a no-no) to offer your guests. These can also double up as take home wedding favors!
- Live Music – any sort of live music, singer or band will help create the festival vibe your looking for. It always feels more special having live music compared to a DJ playing a set playlist.
- Bug Relief Station – Mosquitoes are the bane of summertime and we want all of your guests to be as comfortable as possible. Setting up a nicely decorated relief station where guests can use bug spray, sun cream, insect repellent and other essential items will be deeply appreciated!
- Handheld Fans – Another highly appreciated gift that guests will love is a handhold fan. Manual fans are a god-send during hot ceremonies so make sure you have plenty to hand out.
- Fresh Fruit – Satisfy your guests sweet cravings with a healthy, cool snack like watermelon or pineapple on a stick! Punnets of fresh fruit-filled with assorted berries also work really well.
We hope this guide inspires you when planning your LGBTQ+ summer wedding. For more inspiration check out all our editorials here and our article on “Top 10 Gay Wedding Instagram Accounts To Follow 2022“.